Sunday, May 16, 2010

Vegetable Soup

This is the Vegetable Soup that I've been making on the weekends so that we have for the week. The other nice thing about this is since I work full-time, if I get home and just don't have the time, energy or supplies for dinner, it's ready. Then hubby and I aren't going for take-out or something else that's just going to end up on my hips.

Ingredients:
3 Medium Onions
3 cups chopped carrots (I use baby carrots and just cut them into thirds)
1 Whole Head of Celery
4-5 Zucchini
4-5 Garlic cloves (Depending on your level of garlic that you want.)
Salt
Italian Seasoning
1 Bay Leaf
White Pepper
Chicken Bouillon (4-5 cubes)

Directions:
I spray the bottom of the pan with pam (I'm trying to avoid extra oil). I coarsely chop all of the vegetables and put them in the pot. Add seasonings and any others you want to taste. Let all the vegetable simmer while stirring till they are all fairly soft. I add the chicken bouillon cubes half way through the simmering. The steam "melts" them and I get more flavor in the veggies. Once the veggies are soft, I add water till it covers the veggies about 2 inches. You can always add more water, but this is a "meatier" veggie soup that we can have as a dinner.

Options:
-Add any veggies you want, Bell Peppers, Yellow Squash, etc. It's fun to mix it up.
-I sometimes add a can or two of Black Eyed Peas for something different.
-Add a few tablespoons of mustard. It gives it a lot of flavor without having to add a lot of salt.

One bonus to this is my son (19 months old) LOVES it. I give him the veggies without the broth and he eats it up. Even the big chunks of garlic.

Yes, it's simple, but it's good. Have fun, make it your own. I just made a big pot of it today. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Goals

Goal #1:
221 lbs by May 31st, 2010
Hit goal on 7/2/2010
(yeah June was tough)

Goal #2:
210 lbs by September 9th, 2010
Hit goal on 10/19/2010
(not too bad)

Goal #3:
200 lbs by December 11th, 2010



Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory
Vote For Use @ Top Mommy Blogs